1. Posture gradually improves as the muscles around the spine become more flexible and less tense.
2. Circulation is encouraged, which is good for muscle recovery and healing
3. Massage encourages deeper breathing, helping oxygen circulate encouraging healing and growth
4. Joint flexibility is increased and tension relieved
5. A calm mind is encouraged by massage along with a completely relaxed body.
6. A massage is claimed to boast alertness and improve attention.
7. The cortisol that is decreased by massage is said to boast your lymph flow and immune cells (though I think the massage I had by the sneezing, sniffing masseuse in Bali probably didn’t have such a benefit to my immune system)
8. The decrease in cortisol and increase in serotonin and dopamine provided by the massage may also reduce stress, anxiety and depression.
If only a daily massage was an affordable option!
What benefits have you gained from massages? Do you regularly have them?